Q: Can I use regular flour if I don’t have pumpkin flavored germ self-raising flour?
A: Yes, you can use all-purpose flour mixed with steamed pumpkin puree or pumpkin powder and yeast.
Q: What is the purpose of the cocoa powder in this recipe?
A: The cocoa powder is used to color a small portion of the dough to create the pumpkin stem for the buns’ decoration.
Q: How do I know when the buns are properly fermented before steaming?
A: The buns should be fermented until they are about 1.5 times their original size before steaming.
Cantaloupe and Taro Bun Recipe
- Pumpkin Flavor Germ Self-Raising Flour: 150g
- Room Temperature Water: 80g
- Low Sugar Taro Paste: 120g
- Cocoa Powder: 1g
- Mix the self-raising flour with water to form a dough without dry flour. Cover with cling film and set aside. Divide the taro paste into 20g balls and set aside. If you don't have this specific flour, use all-purpose flour mixed with steamed pumpkin puree or pumpkin powder and yeast.
- Knead the dough on a board for 1 minute until smooth.
- Take out 8g of dough and mix with cocoa powder to form a brown dough ball. Divide the remaining dough into six equal portions, and round each portion.
- Flatten the dough pieces and place taro paste in the center.
- Gather the edges of the dough to the center and pinch tightly to form a bun. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Prepare small strings in a "米" (rice) character shape.
- Place the bun on the strings, lift the ends of the strings up, and tie them together at the center.
- Use a chopstick to make a small hole in the gaps between the strings.
- Shape a small piece of the brown dough into a pumpkin stem and place it in the hole.
- Place the buns on parchment paper, arrange them in a steamer, cover, and let them ferment until they are 1.5 times their size.
- Once fermented, steam for 15 minutes, then turn off the heat and let them sit for 5 minutes before removing them from the steamer. Cut off the strings.
- Enjoy your cantaloupe and taro buns!
- Calories: Information not available
- Fat: Information not available
- Carbohydrates: Information not available
- Protein: Information not available