Q: Can I use a different type of pear for this recipe? A: Yes, any variety of pear that holds up well to baking can be used.
Q: Is it necessary to use a pressure cooker in this recipe? A: A pressure cooker helps to soften the pear quickly, but you can use a regular pot, adjusting the cooking time accordingly.
Q: Can I substitute the traditional Chinese herbs with more accessible ingredients? A: Yes, though it will change the flavor profile, you can experiment with ingredients that are available to you.
Candied Pear Baked with Traditional Chinese Herbs
- Pears, as needed
- Tremella (Silver Ear Mushroom), as needed
- Red Dates, as needed
- Ginger, as needed
- Hawthorn, as needed
- Dried Tangerine Peel, as needed
- Raisins, as needed
- Dried Lily Bulbs (Dragon's Teeth Lily), as needed
- Rock Sugar (1 piece)
- Peel and core the pears. Pears are known for their cooling properties, helping to relieve symptoms of bronchitis and upper respiratory infections.
- In a pressure cooker, add 1.2L of water, the pears, and a piece of rock sugar. Set the pressure indicator to 2.
- Bring to a boil until the pressure cooker indicates it's reached the desired pressure, then reduce to a low heat and maintain pressure for 5 minutes.
- Place pears into heat-resistant stew pots. In one, add ginger strips, brown sugar, and red dates; in another, add dried tangerine peel, hawthorn, and red dates; and in the third, add dried lily bulbs and red dates.
- Add a spoonful of Tremella to each pot. Tremella is known for its nutritional benefits and is easy to digest.
- Pour the pear soup from the pressure cooker into each pot, but do not overfill.
- Cover the pots and bake in an oven at 200°C for about 30 minutes.
- The candied pear is ready when it's soft and the soup is sweet and smooth.
- This dish is perfect for cold weather and provides nourishing benefits for the throat and lungs, especially during flu season.
- Rich in dietary fiber and vitamins
- Contains beneficial herbal ingredients for respiratory health
- Low in fat and suitable for a healthy diet