Q: Can I use a different type of tofu for this recipe?
A: Yes, while firm tofu (North tofu) is recommended for its texture, you can use other types of tofu, but cooking times and texture might vary.
Q: Is there a vegetarian alternative for the minced meat in this recipe?
A: Yes, you can use finely chopped mushrooms or a plant-based meat substitute for a vegetarian version.
Q: How important is it to use fresh tomatoes?
A: Fresh tomatoes are preferred for their flavor and texture, but in a pinch, canned tomatoes can be used as well.
Tomato Braised Tofu: A Home-Style Chinese Recipe
- Firm tofu (North tofu), 1 block
- Fresh tomato, 1
- Chives, 1 bunch
- Minced meat, 50g
- Green onions and garlic, to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté chopped green onions and garlic until fragrant. Add the minced meat and cook until it's no longer pink.
- Add the tomato and salt, cook until the tomato softens. Stir in 1 teaspoon of chicken essence (optional).
- Add tofu cubes and stir gently. Pour in enough water to cover, add 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce and ½ tablespoon of dark soy sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chive segments just before turning off the heat. Stir briefly and serve!
- Rich in protein from tofu and meat
- Provides vitamins and minerals from tomatoes and chives
- Can be adjusted for lower fat and calorie content by reducing the amount of meat or using a meat substitute